Pages

Visit my original blog, too http://timeforbritain.wordpress.com/

Tuesday 27 December 2011

Choosing a course and a suitable university

It is hard to choose a proper course to study, especially if you are 17 and have thousands of interests. In the beginning, I wanted to apply for Social Work. It is a high-powered profession, which can be extremely rewarding but also very dangerous. Social workers are responsible for their wards who they have to visit regularly. They have a lot of tough cases associated with sexual/alcohol/drug abuse etc. When I started reading about this occupation, my interest was growing immensely. I got to know that I would need an experience in volunteering to be eligible to apply for this course. During my holiday I thought through my decision and came to a conclusion that I am not mature enough to study such a responsible course. Finally, I drew a list of my merits and flaws which made me understand who I really was.

I thought about my interests and extra curricular activities. As a result, I realized that I would be a wonderful manager:) Yes, I love working with individuals and I have thousand of ideas... During my "educational career", I took part in roughly 30 contest. I even managed to achieve second place in The National Theatre Knowledge Competition. But, It was 3 years ago when I was fascinated by literature. Besides, I have always been into Geography, but I regard that being a Geography teacher is not the best job in the 21 century-low salaries and few job positions. Moreover, I was looking for a versatile job-full of perspectives and challenges. I would like to cooperate with people from different backgrounds... I would like to travel a lot and be completely independent... I know-everybody does:)

In may,2011, I won "Do Business in Tarnow" Competition. I had a privilege to present my project during The Tarnow Entrepreneurship Forum:) and I won a new laptop. Yeah, this contest completely influenced my decision. I decided to apply for a business course-Marketing with Management. It was probably the most important decision in my life.

When you know what you want to study, you can start searching for the most suitable university. Consciously did not I use expression-"the best". In the UK there are many "worse" universities which have brilliant departments of Business, for example. There are also great unis which have low employment rates. So, it is crucial to read university league tables carefully!

If you are an EU student, you should also bear in mind how expensive higher education in England is (even though you do not need to pay well in advance). It is worth considering Scotland when undergraduate courses are generally funded by SAAS.

Because of that, I chose three Scottish institutions and only two English universities. As far as I am concerned, I may recommend some rankings:

The complete university guide rankings (Do not care about overall score of university! Look at graduate prospects of particular faculties).

Guardian's table
world university rankings (If you care about the world reputation).

And remember: your career is up to you-university can only help you expand your knowledge and acquire essential skills.

Oh, I have almost forgot: here you have my choices: Lancaster University, Nottingham Trent University, Strathclyde University Glasgow, RGU Aberdeen and Napier University in Edinburgh:) They have great business departments, employment rates and ...offer placement-a year in industry:):)

No comments:

Post a Comment