Pages

Visit my original blog, too http://timeforbritain.wordpress.com/

Tuesday 7 August 2012

NIN, bank account, flat...work

When you come to the UK, you will have to take care of some formal things such us National Insurance Number. First and foremost, you are to call Job Centre Plus: 0845 600 06 43 and make an appointment. Unfortunately, you cannot call from Poland:( But you can ask someone else to call on behalf of you. During an interview you just have to present your proof of address (it may be a bank statement, letter from UCAS with your British address-if you change your contact details in Track, you will get such letter in a few days:) or even proof of address letter written by another tenant. Of course, you will need any proof of identity-it may be you ID or passport. I got my number 7 days after a day of my interview but I may take longer. Do not worry, because you really can be employed, work and even get your first salary without this number!

You do not have to worry about your bank account, either. All U need is a proof of identity and address (letter from UCAS is a very good solution). I would recommend Barclays http://www.barclays.co.uk/PersonalBanking/P1242557947640 , as you can have your account open in literally one day and do not have to pay a penny for most of the things! Just visit your nearest branch and open your account in approximately 30 minutes:)

Flat/room. I am just looking for a new one, since I have to move out on 1st September. Therefore, I can recommend a few websites:

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/

http://www.gumtree.com/aberdeen

If U want to rent a room, you should be very careful, since there are many fraudsters who want to take advantage of naive student. I am not a lawyer, but I can show you an example of my flat share agreement. You are advised to sign something (even such unprofessional document) before giving your money to someone else!
FLAT SHARE AGREEMENT
FLAT SHARE AGREEMENT for X bedroom flat in (address)
This agreement confirms that
flatmate, YOUR NAME
is currently renting the flat leased to:
tenant, NAME
at the above address, for the period
from ............... to................. .
The amount of rent will be charged
£X per month for the flat (£X per month for the room).



  • There is a X-pound deposit paid by the flatmate, which will be returned to him when he moves out leaving the flat in a good condition without any financial liabilities. It means that the deposit will be paid back with return of the keys, general inspection and at least a full calendar month notice.

  • The flatmate's amount of rent (£X per month) and bills will be paid via Internet Banking from the flatmate's account (flatmate's account number:XXXXX, flatmate's sort number:XXXXXX) to tenant's account (tenant's account number: XXXX, tenant's sort number: XXXXX).

  • The flatmate agrees too keep the flat in a good condition and will not engage in antisocial behavior.

  • Bills (Internet, gas, electricity) will be paid on an equal basis by both the tenant and the flatmate.

Signed:


NAME, tenant                                                                                          place and date ...............................


YOUR NAME, flatmat                                                                             place and date ..................................

Health. You should find your nearest GP here http://www.nhs24.com/, register and take advantage of free medicines (prescription) in Scotland. Before you come, you are advised to apply for European Health Insurance Card in your country (just in case).

Work... it is a very difficult topic, because some people find work in 2 days while the others aren't employed for a few months. My advice-arrive in May/beginning of June when students and employees go on holiday, 16 and 18-years-old revise for exams. I wouldn't come here in August, because there are few job advertisements and lots of people eager to work-students, seasonal workers etc. It must be extremely difficult to find something in September, because thousands of students come back from holiday and everybody wants to be employed:( Generally, it is up to you! I believe that it is worth arriving earlier, as you can get acquainted with the city, make friends, improve your language and get used to the accent etc:)

Important: Before you come, you must prepare a professional BRITISH CV (it is not only about the language) with contact details (British address and mobile number). You can buy a sim card on Allegro and print your CV in Poland in advance. I printed 200 copies or my résumé! I used only 30 but I managed to find work in 5 days' time:)

British CV http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/goodbadCV.htm

  • without photo

  • different format

  • focus on skills and experience

Where can you find work?

You can even start sending CVs by email from home in May, that way you have 1 month in advance looking for a job and see if they will answer  Do not tell them anything about NIN, just say that you had an interview and you are just awaiting for the number. Normally they simply require a CV, nothing else. 

Do not forget about SAAS in Scotland or a student loan if you want to study in England!



I wish you luck!:):)

1 comment:

  1. I saw from my WordPress dashboard that you were following my blog, and I came here to find out about you. Congratulations on getting into the university you wanted!

    When I tried to get a National Insurance number, having come to the UK from the USA, they wouldn't give me one, so I think you were lucky to get one so quickly. I wanted to apply for a job as a researcher for the county police, but they wouldn't accept my application because I didn't have an NI number, but staff at Job Centre Plus wouldn't give me a number. They said I didn't need one to get a job, that it was the first step to claiming benefits and they didn't want any more people claiming benefits, and that it was illegal for an employer to refuse to consider my application because I had no NI number. So I went back and forth between the NI officials and the county police for a while with no luck.

    Finally I wrote to my Member of Parliament, who made the two offices get together and determine who was correct--but by that time, someone else had the job! Instead I decided to work for myself, so I asked the NI people for a number so I could pay my taxes--and then, they couldn't give me a number fast enough. Not really a surprise, I suppose --

    Good luck at university, and thank you for reading my blog!

    Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete