Pages

Visit my original blog, too http://timeforbritain.wordpress.com/

Thursday 30 August 2012

People, Help The People...


Studying at university is not only about assimilating data from extremely thick and clever books. It is your chance to develop your communication and interpersonal skills. It is a great opportunity to pick up some work-experience, meet fantastic people and learn new things, such as cooking.

It is 30th August. When I came to the UK on 30th May, I was so scared. I thought: "God, I don't even know what British coins look like." Yeah, I remember that I had a big problem with money:)

Surprisingly, I have been selling coffee, tea, biscuits, books etc at WRVS Café (Woolmanhill Hospital) for a month. I am a volunteer and everything my customers buy helps older people get more out of life:) Every Thursday I have to open the café, deal with customers and their money, write reports, operate coffee machine and dishwasher ( I am not sure if I do it correctly).


I love talking to customers. A week ago I had a wonderful conversation with a nice Scottish lady. I told her about my journey, first days in the UK, my work, education and she was so impressed.



I cannot even describe how I feel when I count money before closing the café and when I throw money into a special box:):):)



I think that such small things make as happy. Not a brand new I-Phone, not expensive Armani watches...
Yeah, volunteering is a gift. It is your chance. Do not waste it! Contribute to our society, help, volunteer...
People help the people

Nothing will drag you down

No comments:

Post a Comment